1. Who is your protagonist/s? How can you sum up who they are in a few lines?
2. What do they want?
3. What are the obstacles/challenges?
4. What are the STAKES? (What is at stake if they don't overcome the obstacle?)
Then include all that in as few words as possible with personality!
Writing the blurb
- If you don't know where to start try the 'When' approach. eg. When Ariel the mermaid bargains with the Sea Witch for human legs...
- Identify your character by name and age group immediately.
- Don't open with a rhetorical question. eg. "Have you ever wondered...?" You don't want this answer to be no!
- NEVER write a blurb from the POV of your character. Most professionals agree this is creepy.
- Keep it as concise as possible.
- Don't include every sub-plot and twist, just the central plot elements.
- Only talk about the primary characters; don't bombard the reader with secondary characters.
- Finish with a hook! Examples; A question; Will she get there before the sun sets and break the spell? OR re-iterate the stakes; If she fails it will mean the end of her kind.
Got any blurb tips?